Welcome to the latest issue of Tasmanian Rents.
Every quarter the Tenants’ Union publishes rent statistics compiled from Bond Lodgement Forms collected by the Rental Deposit Authority. The data is based on information provided by both the landlord and tenant when lodging a bond with the Rental Deposit Authority.
This issue includes statistics from the final quarter of 2017. We compare the weighted median rents of Tasmania’s three geographical regions, which are rents that comprise all property sizes, with their equivalents from the previous quarter and the same quarter of the previous year. In more detailed overviews, you will find median rents for different property sizes (1 bedroom, 2 bedroom etc) in particular regional areas and their growth since 2016.
Download the current issue here: Tasmanian Rents December 2017
Comment: The December 2017 edition of Tasmanian Rents is out and here’s what it shows:
- Southern Tasmanian rents rose by 3.1% in the last quarter, although rents for 3 bedroom properties in Hobart City fell from their all-time high of $495 last quarter to $470.
- Northern Tasmanian (Launceston & North East) rents rose by 5.1% in the December quarter, mainly because of large increases in Inner Launceston rents.
- North West Tasmania only saw an increase in rents in 3 bedroom properties, with rents for 1 and 2 bedroom properties remaining stable.
When comparing the 2017 calendar year with the 2016 calendar year:
- Hobart City had double digit rent increases in 1, 2 and 3 bedroom dwellings.
- Rents in Southern Tasmania rose by 14.3% for 1 bedroom, 7.1% for 2 bedroom and 7.7% for 3 bedroom properties.
- Northern Tasmania had more modest increases of around 4%, however still a figure above inflation.
- 3 bedroom North West Tasmania properties remained at $260, while 1 and 2 bedroom properties rose by 3.1% and 2.3% respectively.
For these figures and in-depth rents for regions and areas of Tasmania, click on the latest issue of Tasmanian Rents above.
The Rental Deposit Authority and Tenants’ Union of Tasmania give no warranty regarding the data’s accuracy, completeness, currency or suitability for any particular purpose; and do not accept liability howsoever arising, including but not limited to negligence for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the data.